Friday, October 23, 2020

I'm So Disappointed


I'm so disappointed in you.

Shame on you.

Look at what you've done.

I expected more from you.


These phrases haunted me for most of my life. When I heard them coming out of my mouth toward my own children - and even my husband - I ran to the Bible and prayed for God to cleanse my mouth, my heart, my soul and to redeem my past.

It has been a struggle and I'll probably always be irritated by these phrases from time to time. But since I went to battle against them, with the help of the Holy Spirit, the attacks are less and less.

It is true that I am unworthy of the sacrifice Jesus made for me. That is what makes it precious. I know He has forgiven me. I know He works with me. I know He is not ashamed of me, but has built a mansion for me that I get to see one day.

When I hear the evil words echoing in my head they want to stop me from being kind to people, giving of myself, forgiving others, loving others. These evil words must go!

So when I hear the Failure Words in my head I say, "Get out!" and begin to sing praise songs. I never knew until a few years ago how strong praise songs sung out loud can be. ... and I've been learning more songs by heart so I had more weaponry in my arsenal. 

God bless your battles today!

Grace and Peace. 💙

"We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ ..." 2 Corinthians 10:5

10 comments:

  1. I feel this so much! Even as a kid, the mere hint of disappointment was enough to make me run to my room and punish myself. Coming to Christ as an adult, I've had to battle the feeling that I'm constantly disappointing God. But He is NEVER disappointed in us! He loves us enough to die for us, and I can trust that that love is more than enough to sustain me, even when I mess up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, how sad that you had to grow up hearing those words. I'm so glad you can overcome those phrases with prayer, praise, and leaning on Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Jesus' sacrifice and gift mean so much to me!

      Delete
  3. It's interesting what words haunt us from our youth. Mine is not a ghost of disappointment, but a ghost of laziness. So when my son recently told me that I thought he was lazy, I told him those words had never come out of mouth (because I would never call someone something that hurts me so much). But, I've been wondering if maybe my actions expressed that sentiment more than my words. Quite likely. God help me to be more encouraging to him and all others in my life.

    Amie, FMF #19

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! I heard that too ... Rachel, you are so lazy ... and you are right. Sometimes our actions speak louder. Blessings on your journey!

      Delete
  4. Keep singing those praise songs loudly. You are amazing awesome loved and perfect as a child.of God. God bless Loretta fmf #4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you came to visit! Blessings to you too!

      Delete
  5. So many times I've blundered,
    snatched loss from victory,
    and so I've often wondered,
    is God ashamed of me?
    Does He shake His head and sigh
    at miscues I have played,
    asked, "With all My blessings, why
    an how have you made
    such a mess of many chances,
    such a pig of providence,
    two left feet in all the dances,
    and so little common sense?"
    He really should forget my name,
    but He loves me all the same.

    #1 at FMF this week.

    ReplyDelete

Witness

  Living out in the country like we do, I get to witness new things every week. Like this morning, I went out to feed the barn cats and re...