Friday, March 5, 2021

I Love Green

 



Right now the store has lots of green: green shamrock stickers, green hats, green leprechauns, green and gold boas, green glasses, green art projects for kids, greenery, green rocks, plastic green buckets and even green gnomes (gnomes are IN this year – big time)!

Green is the color of spring (though some argue it’s yellow for dandelions).

I love green. In my home I have a bunch of green plants (ivy, palms, succulents) and green décor. I have a green purse and green clothing and green kitchen utensils.

At the store green catches my eye – the greener the better (lettuce, peppers, snow peas, broccoli, limes).

But I didn’t always like green. My mom told me that green shirt made my face look pale. I liked it because it made my eyes look green and … everyone wanted green eyes, right?

Those words of my mom stayed with me as I got pinched every March 17 because I failed to wear green. Kids can be so cruel.

But I’ve made peace with green. I celebrate green as the snow melts and the daffodils emerge. I count the shades of green as the leaves explode on the maple, oak, hickory, ash, hawthorn, elm. Green in my garden means a harvest in August.

On March 17 I’ll be wearing a green – Kelly Green – shirt under my blue and orange uniform with matching green earrings with pine needles in them that my daughter made.

I love green ...

and I’m pretty sure green is the color of heaven.


https://fiveminutefriday.com/2021/03/04/fmf-writing-prompt-link-up-green/

13 comments:

  1. I'm with you loving the green! I also love that you embraced it even when you were told it wasn't "for" you. I can only imagine how green Heaven is--it's going to be glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love green but I cannot wear it. Makes me look yellow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The redemption of green. I loved reading this. :) Deirdre FMF#2

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lime green's on my colour-wheel
    but it don't suit me at all;
    I'd pass it by, but here's the deal,
    if I should maybe fall
    when I am out in the yard,
    and not regain my feet,
    seeing me will not be hard,
    and it's hard to beat
    catching some kind neighbour's eye
    as he motors down the road
    that he may rush to where I lie,
    take up my weight, Samar'tan load,
    back up to the house to rest,
    saved, now, by a roadman's vest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent!

      Always happy to see your poetry!

      Have a super day!

      Delete
  5. I thought heaven was going to be gold. Haha.

    Amie, FMF #20

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green and gold ... don't forget the Tree of Life!

      Delete
  6. my mom was always quick to pinch on St. Paddy's. glad you're embracing the color!

    ReplyDelete

Witness

  Living out in the country like we do, I get to witness new things every week. Like this morning, I went out to feed the barn cats and re...