Friday, October 7, 2022

Become


 

 

On becoming a writer:

One is always becoming a writer. It’s ironic to be three things at once: someone who wants to be writer, someone who is learning how to be a writer, and someone who is a writer.

I was writing stories about myself since I was small, giving them to my Grandma Paulsen who loved every one of them.

I was writing in my bedroom at my desk in Phoenix.  It was an awesome hardwood desk built into the wall facing a large window. I miss that desk. It was larger than the one I have now. I wrote stories and journal entries (I’m glad they stopped calling it a diary), and letters. I sent lots of letters to my grandmother and to my friends back in Wisconsin. My grandmother answered every one. My friends stopped writing after a few years.

I was writing stories and journaling in college, but not as much. There was so much reading and studying to do and 90 percent of my writing was research papers and detailed lesson plans. I did have an assignment to write a story – 2 pages. I rewrote an idea I had from high school about a secret passage in my closet leading out to some random road out in the desert and meeting a ghost. I received a B+. The teacher didn’t believe me. I was kinda mad … weren’t we supposed to write fiction? Yeah. Still stings a little.

I wrote mostly lesson plans for the three years after college. Then I got married and had a baby. I was swamped with newborn work, but found that journaling was a way to hang on to my self in the midst of baby and husband duties. In the journaling I talked to myself, I reminded myself of where I was and what I had already accomplished in my life. I wrote in the journal all the things I wanted to teach my children. I sometimes even felt free to write about the things I might do when the children were older. I usually managed to read a book about writing every year or so.

Then the children were older, the youngest three years old, and we moved to the country. One of the first pieces of furniture my husband built was a desk by the window for me with shelves above. It was wonderful. In that physical expression of permission from my husband I began my new journey to writing to sell (hopefully).

-

Writing resources that have helped me become a writer:

Tons of notebooks

Tons of pens

A place to write (in bed, in the car, outside in a lawn chair, under my oak tree, sitting in the doctor’s office, in a restaurant, at a café (I’m always visiting new coffee shops when I hear about them), in a workshop, in a class, in church (yes, it’s okay that I’m taking notes and creating new characters in my church … and I’m not the only one).

All the fellow writers, closet and public, who talked to me about writing, suggested resources and retreats, and shared their knowledge. Writing is sharing.

 

Writer’s Digest

The Writer

Poets and Writers

Two Drops of Ink

 

October 7 – Become – 31 Days of Writing about Writing

#31days2022











7 comments:

  1. I never thought myself a writer;
    I work on guns and aeroplanes,
    spark cigars with Zippo lighter
    while kicking butt and taking names.
    Sure, I write some poetry;
    the effort keeps me out of gaol,
    but I see no destiny
    in the telling of a tale
    'bout characters inside my head,
    underneath my skull and hair.
    They should live outside instead,
    for it's mighty cramped in there,
    so I guess to get them clear
    I'll have to write their stories here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your poem. Always fun to read, infused with truth, inspiring me to write something completely different. Blessings!

      Delete
  2. This is a beautiful post. It reminds me of how powerful writing is, in any form, for any reason. Thanks for sharing. Visiting from FMF #3 this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm... I don't know.. are you writing about those characters during sunday service???? ... I can see the temptation though, but writing, yes it happens. FMF23

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, let me explain. I am a sticky note person. Things that pop into my head while I'm writing or eating or doing the dishes or anything (except driving, although I knew someone who did) I have to write down or I forget. So I have tiny notebooks and stickies everywhere. In my Bible notebook I jot a little note down up at the top if something comes to me.

      Delete

Witness

  Living out in the country like we do, I get to witness new things every week. Like this morning, I went out to feed the barn cats and re...