Sunday, October 2, 2022

Give

 


Give it away

When my book Love To Write came out I gave a lot of them away. Fellow writers and marketing experts told me that this was not a wise thing to do. “A writer never gives their product away,” they say. “It’s just not done. It lessens the value of your product.” OR “If you’re giving it away, there must be something wrong with it.”

Well, while some of that may be true, I believe if my work is good, it will be worth something to someone. I doubt that I will ever think like a businessperson. All I can do is obey the rules of the publisher and do the best I can to get my book into the hands of people who will like it, read it, find something special in it and perhaps give it to someone they know.

Some of the home educators are still using my book (published in 2006) and that’s better than money.

 

Give it to the library

Many writers insist the library pay for their book. I totally understand that a library has to purchase a Grisham novel. But I’m not Grisham and probably will never be. The library has always been there for me, letting me sit for hours in their warm building, reading whatever I wanted and taking notes, using their computers and copy machines and wifi, letting me talk about writing with other writers … all for free. Why shouldn’t I give my new novel to the library – for free – maybe even two copies (one for the shelf, one for the gift basket to be raffled off in December). And I found that for every copy I gave to the library I sold two more. I can’t explain it, but that’s how it has worked for me.

I wrote Before Coffee, God for women who are going through struggles in their lives and are finding it hard to talk to God. God wants to hear all our heart aches and I wrote examples of crying out to God for women to read and agree with or read and use or just read and ponder. I give a lot of those books away too.

The Porch is not self-published so I must buy my copies from the publisher. But I have still given copies away. I had five sweet people that read my draft and gave me excellent comments and suggestions. They did not charge me. They should get a free book signed by me with my gratitude. There were others that inspired a piece of the book in the midst of creating it. They should also get a free book, shouldn’t they? I sent a copy to the offices of National Novel Writing Month because The Porch is the novel I wrote for NaNoWriMo 2015. NaNoWriMo is full of inspiration all during the month of November all for free. They should get a free copy too.

 

Give of yourself in your writing

I used to write stilted, stiff, plastic stories. I was trying to mimic other people, searching for my own voice, not trusting my own voice. Now I write as honestly as I can. It’s still difficult. Some writing hurts deep deep down, but I push through and get it done. I’m giving myself.

Some people don’t like me – that makes me a human. So those people might not like my writing. But I can’t please everyone. I tried! It’s not possible! I try to please God in my writing and the only people I should please are my editors, or the people I am working for. That’s a contract between business persons. Other than that, I write to give myself, my ideas, my views, my geeky weirdness, my fails, and a tiny bit of my success.

 

Give the readers what they want

I’m not sure I know how to give the readers what they want. Even in the newspaper business you never know how a story will hit the public. Some of the simplest, most innocent stories created an explosion. People are funny. They like what they like.

But I will give people the truth (unless I’m writing fiction). I will be open and not hide anything. I will be honest and tell people that some of the things I know I cannot publish out of respect for others. I will do my best and write the best piece I can.

 

Give the truth

I’ve always been a truth teller. But sometimes I cheaped out on the truth to tell people something to make them feel better. It made me feel sick. So now in my writing I tell the truth. One of the reasons I went freelance was to tell the truth. I hate lies. I hate it when people tell lies. I hate it when people tell me to tell lies. Lies are bad. Truth is good. There’s a lot of gray out there, so I strive to find the black and white. When the truth is hard, I write with grace. When the truth is ugly, I write with mercy. When the truth is uncomfortable, I write with humor.

 

Give people a reason to come back

I’ve heard this a lot – “Give the people a reason to come back.” I’m not sure I know how to do that.

 

Give back

I want to help other writers. I give back as much as I can. I have been paid for workshops, but I don’t like getting paid for workshops because so much of what I have learned I got for free. Even those first few 1982 Writer’s Digest Magazines were free from a friend.

Hopefully these blog posts about writing will give you something you can use.

 

Richland Source online newspaper

Galion Inquirer online newspaper

The Morrow County Sentinel online newspaper






October 2 – GIVE – 31 Days of Writing about Writing

#31days2022

Photo info: Image by <a href="https://pixabay.com/users/kriemer-932379/?utm_source=link-attribution&amp;utm_medium=referral&amp;utm_campaign=image&amp;utm_content=1619751">Kerstin Riemer</a> from <a href="https://pixabay.com//?utm_source=link-attribution&amp;utm_medium=referral&amp;utm_campaign=image&amp;utm_content=1619751">Pixabay</a>


No comments:

Post a Comment

Witness

  Living out in the country like we do, I get to witness new things every week. Like this morning, I went out to feed the barn cats and re...