Saturday, October 1, 2022

Way



The way I write

I write when I can fit in a few minutes, early morning, after lunch, after supper, late at night. I write a rough draft or just thoughts. Then, if there is an assignment like this one, I pull the best out and rewrite it to make it say what I want it to say. Then I let it rest (if time permits). When I go back to it, I can edit with rested eyes and make it as crystal as possible. The majority of what I write is hidden away in notebooks stacked in boxes in my bedroom closet.

 

Finding a way to write

I have tried lots of ways to write: notes in a pad in my purse, sitting in a park in my car, sitting in a coffee shop enjoying a latte and the buzz of conversation, at my desk with the door closed, in my bed, at the kitchen counter, in the bedroom closet where most noise is cancelled out, standing in the path I am walking jotting down ideas on a tiny pad that fits in my pocket. To begin with I didn’t know what to do with all the things I wrote so I stored them away.

Now I create a rough draft, let it sit, then rewrite. If I have written the draft longhand, I will let it sit before I type the edited version into my laptop. I’ve tried books, tapes, CDs, videos, classes, workshops, conferences … all have inspired me, all have helped me to hone my practice. But I still create lots of raw material that hasn’t seen the light of day.

 

Making my way in writing

After writing by myself for a long time, I researched writing groups in my area and came up empty. I asked people I met if they knew any writers. I had been writing for several years in the closet and needed to move to the next step – other people reading my writing. After being completely frustrated, but not wanting to give up on my writing, I worked with the library to hold some writing workshops that I had created from all the things I had learned. About 20 people signed up and out of those workshops evolved The MadHatters Writing Group (now asleep, but not forgotten). People I met led me to a group in Mansfield that gathered at the Barnes and Nobel, and another group that met at a library in Ontario. All these people showed me their way in writing, and I took many of those paths.

 

People that showed me a way to go

At the beginning, I read old Writer’s Digest magazines cover to cover. I read books about writing, King, Lamott, Zinsser, Dillard, and other classics and, of course, Strunk and White. I went to the library and read Poet and Writer magazine and The Writer magazine. I entered some of their contests. I signed up for video workshops on blogging and writing novels. I created my very first novel after reading “How to Write and Sell Your First Novel” which gave me a step-by-step process that I found exhilarating. That first novel sits in a sealed envelope that I sent to myself on a shelf for “someday” when I have time to rewrite, but also for proof to myself that I could do it. I participated in local poetry contests and National Novel Writing Month. All the people involved added little bits to my writing methods and made me a better writer.

The workshops I had given led to a job at the local newspaper where I learned to write very fast (two stories per day, six days a week), because there were always deadlines. I learned to write accurately because there were always people reading that would let me know if I made a mistake – which I did (frequently). I was passed from one company paper to another, wherever I was needed, and each editor had their own style and expectations – I learned so much.

Today I can say I can write 1500 words a day (plus), and that’s edited. I can say I have five published books, four of which anyone can still purchase. I can say I have lots of guest blog posts and news articles and magazine articles in my archives and floating around the internet. Many newspaper articles are lost forever in non-Internet print time and some stories are locked behind Internet walls inaccessible except by a wise tech crew member.

I didn’t keep everything, but I kept some. That’s enough for me to tell myself, even in the bad days, the dry days, the uninspired days, I Can Still Write.

 

Writer’s Digest Magazine

Stephen King’s On Writing

Ann Lamott’s Bird by Bird


October 1 – Way – 31 Days of Writing about Writing

#31days2022






Photo Info: 
Image by <a href="https://pixabay.com/users/44833-44833/?utm_source=link-attribution&amp;utm_medium=referral&amp;utm_campaign=image&amp;utm_content=166733">Jim Semonik</a> from <a href="https://pixabay.com//?utm_source=link-attribution&amp;utm_medium=referral&amp;utm_campaign=image&amp;utm_content=166733">Pixabay</a>



5 comments:

  1. What a lovely post on writing, Rachel. It's amazing how we're all so different but the yearning to write and express ourselves is so similar. I look forward to reading your posts through the 31 Day Challenge. I'm at #1 on the Linky. Do drop by if you have the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great post. I have many notebooks stored away that are full of writing also. I have done a lot of things you have done too, to try and become a better writer. Thanks for sharing. It was encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Beth. I hope you come back again and maybe see some of the resources I've discovered over the years. Sure helps to know I'm not the only one with boxes of full notebooks stashed in my closet! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post on writing, Rachel. We write about different subjects, but the our hearts desires are the same, to express ourselves and reach others. I have writing notes all over the place, but I am working on a more organized system so that I can locate what I have written when I need to. I like to write by candlelight even in the daytime. I need a quiet space, as well as a room with a view of nature. I am so glad that I stopped by your corner of the world. I am #13 on InLinz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! an organized bunch of writing notes! Blessings on that project! You remind me I haven't lit a candle for a few weeks ... but I have a lovely view of nature. Last week a Coopers Hawk came to the bird feeder, I guess he was wondering where everyone else went ... Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Witness

  Living out in the country like we do, I get to witness new things every week. Like this morning, I went out to feed the barn cats and re...