Monday, October 17, 2022

Together

 



Writers Need Writers

I envy those writers that can co-write a book. I’ve tried, sort of, to write a book with other writers, but it didn’t fly. It’s probably because I’m such a control freak.  

Somewhere in the boxes of notebooks is a mystery set in the town where MadHatters used to meet about an old lady that saw something from her second story window on the main drag in town. We had fun, but it was the season where writers disappear, and we never finished.

Did you know there is a season where writers disappear?

I know of several best-selling books that were co-written by famous authors. There are also famous authors that co-write books with unknown writers. That would be fun!

I know I’m a control freak, especially about my writing, but one thing I am sure of – writers need other writers to grow.

 

Writers Need Editors

The first short story I handed in when I was attending college got a B-. It was only a one-time assignment. I was not given the opportunity to rewrite or work with the professor to make it a better, more believable story. So, in the end, that grade, and the comments, left a bad taste in my mouth and further ingrained my writerly independence.

But as I started writing for publication, I realized I would have to become okay with an editor’s suggestions. In fact, if I wanted to get published, I’d have to do what the editor said.

After the original chaos cleared, I found each editor was very different in what they wanted. Looking back I see this is the best way for a writer to grow. Together the writer and editor makes a new creation which is better than either of them could create alone. That’s because an editor is a reader and sees things the writer doesn’t even know is there. It’s crazy how a writer can toil over a piece and think they know it inside and out, but when a reader gets it they show the writer the shadow, the bright spots, the cracks in the flow, or a new emphasis.

 

Writers Together

When I conducted my first workshops, the writers there challenged me to make things interesting, to find things new to teach them, to find the answers to questions they had, to give them assignments that would grow their skill, and to look at my own work in a new light.

When we created a writing group from those workshops, I felt the gentle pressure to learn more so I could share. I also learned much more from them. My co-conspirators were always talking about new techniques, new authors, the occasional new conference, and always lots of new ideas. I always came away from the meeting with tons of ideas. I took lots and notes.

 

Editors Together

The switch to editor was a gentle one. I had been helping editors with their responsibilities for a few years, so I knew what was expected when I finally landed my editor post. I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered a comradery between editors. It was comforting to know I had several seasoned folks to turn to when I was needing advice.

Editors need editors. They suggest writers that could work and warn against using writers that are difficult to work with. They are an ocean of experience that, by that time, I humbly tapped into.

 

Writers Need Readers

Some writers only journal or write letters or stories or essays that people don’t see. This practice is important for writers. It helps us think, clarify our thoughts and opinions, help us to see our thoughts on paper and perhaps see things we didn’t know where there.

Other writers write for publication. They keep journals, lists, idea files that people don’t see, but they use this raw material to generate products they can sell.

Both writers need readers. Some writers only have themselves for readers. This is fine. Laying something aside for a few weeks and coming back to it creates an emotional space so we can see our mistakes and fix them. Writers that write for publication need beta readers (readers that also write and readers that only read) to see what they don’t see so they can make it the best it can be before sending it to its forever home.

 

Together humbles. Together helps us grow. Together makes us all stronger.






Together – 10-17-22 – 31 Days of Writing About Writing


photo info - Image by <a href="https://pixabay.com/users/cdd20-1193381/?utm_source=link-attribution&amp;utm_medium=referral&amp;utm_campaign=image&amp;utm_content=5173530">愚木混株 Cdd20</a> from <a href="https://pixabay.com//?utm_source=link-attribution&amp;utm_medium=referral&amp;utm_campaign=image&amp;utm_content=5173530">Pixabay</a>


No comments:

Post a Comment

Witness

  Living out in the country like we do, I get to witness new things every week. Like this morning, I went out to feed the barn cats and re...