Saturday, October 22, 2022

True

 


 

I used to cover the local Rotary meetings when I wrote for the newspaper. Each meeting included a song or a recitation of the following questions to ask before getting involved in anything. It’s called the Four-Way Test.

Is it the truth?

Is it fair to all concerned?

Will it build goodwill and better friendships?

Will it be beneficial to all concerned?








I began to use these questions while writing my stories for the newspaper, but as a reporter I was assigned stories and didn’t have a choice as to what I should write. I tried to keep as objective as I could, but I wrote with my emotions and bias was difficult to wash out. Depending on the editor, my stories were easily tilted one way or another.

Many times I regretted writing what I did after I saw what my editor did with it. A few stories answered “no” to all four questions.

When I became an editor, I felt I was able to follow those questioned a little better. I got complaints for my editing, but after a little discussion I found some wanted to see more controversy, more roasting of people they didn’t like, more stirring of the emotional pot. Some wanted me to write about something that didn’t happen at the event. Some wanted me to ask different questions. I always came back with an apology for the thing omitted and I requested they write a letter to the editor stating what they had just told me. Letters to the editor were rare.

The newspaper, of course, is to blame. We are fortunate to have the fourth estate, but many times

- stories are given misleading headlines.

- stories are biased by insinuation or outright blaming.

- stories are incomplete, one-sided, leaving out much information that is needed for an informed decision about the subject covered.

- stories are suppositions without proof, attributed quotes, or any quotes at all,

- stories are confusing.

- stories are impossible to double check with the information we are given.

- stories disappear after a few hours.

Which makes the newspaper entertainment, not truth. But that is the world in which we live.

Why do I rant about the newspaper?

Writing for the newspaper was wonderful experience for a me as a writer. I stopped whining about not knowing what to write. I grew a hard shell against complains, criticism and threats. I learned to write thousands of words that I didn’t count (we measured stories in inches) and were sometimes drastically cut.  And I was able to crank out two stories or more per day.

But there was a huge cost to my base morality, my self-respect, and my emotions.

 

I realize now that I only wanted to write the truth. But truth is different to different people. Perception is reality, so it is nearly impossible to argue what truth is or isn’t. (Plus the fact that most of what people told me was off the record.)

Very frustrating for a truth girl.

Now, as I venture back into the world of freelancing, I get to write the truth. If I am unsure what I write is truth, I research, do interviews, or state as such in the piece I am struggling with. If I am found guilty of writing anything but truth, the thing can be rewritten, or revised or rebutted.

 

Volumes are written and published about truth and more volumes are on the way.

So I’ll end with this: There is only one truth.

God’s Word. The Bible. Holy Scriptures. God’s love letter to us. To this volume I submit. I might disagree. I might not understand. I may even misinterpret. But God’s Word is alive and active, and it teaches me in tiny increments, daily, lovingly, deeply, personally.

“Sanctify them in the truth; You word is truth.” – John 17:17 (NASB)

“For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” -Hebrews 4:12 (NASB)

“All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.” – 2 Timothy 3:16-17

 


 

 



True – 10-22-22 – 31 Days of Writing About Writing


No comments:

Post a Comment

Witness

  Living out in the country like we do, I get to witness new things every week. Like this morning, I went out to feed the barn cats and re...