Friday, October 14, 2022

Compromise

 



 

Compromise is complicated. I think I’m compromising, giving more than I’m being given, then I find the other feels the same. We have both compromised and neither of us is content.

I have come to realize compromising to me is giving in completely, letting the other have their way entirely, standing aside formally.

I compromise more now than I ever have. I believe that is because I have learned the things that are most important. So I am not compromising so much as stepping aside and moving along until a decision comes along to which I must say “no.”

And I ask God what to compromise on.

I compromise on simple daily decisions, doing the laundry or allowing someone else to use the machines for the day, cooking supper for everyone or letting them create things for themselves, watching what my family wants to watch on television and waiting until a better time to watch the movie I’ve been saving.

 

But there are things I will not compromise.

Quality in my work

Quality in my relating to people

Standards for myself

Standards for others

Staying away from certain people, places and things

 

And more specifically:

Reading the Bible every day

Praying every day

Asking God to lead my day every day

Loving people who hurt me

Taking care of the people, pets and property God has given me

Safety

Preparedness

Staying busy

Using my time, money, and talents to the best of my ability (which may mean failing, but not compromising)

 

And another thing …

Praise God for compromise! It humbles us, strengthens us and sometimes humiliates us and at all times it makes us grow more like Jesus.


 




Compromise – 10-14-22 – 31 Days of Writing about Writing


photo info - Image by <a href="https://pixabay.com/users/johnhain-352999/?utm_source=link-attribution&amp;utm_medium=referral&amp;utm_campaign=image&amp;utm_content=2009195">John Hain</a> from <a href="https://pixabay.com//?utm_source=link-attribution&amp;utm_medium=referral&amp;utm_campaign=image&amp;utm_content=2009195">Pixabay</a>



6 comments:

  1. Compromise is complicated,
    negotiation running through it
    on which results are predicated,
    and that's why I won't do it,
    for I am just a simple man
    who doesn't use big words
    that I really do not understand,
    but some will push me towards
    accepting that which I do not
    hold with, and I never will,
    with language used to stir the pot,
    then sending me the bill
    for something that just doesn't fit,
    so as for compromise... I quit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ... the language used to stir the pot ... so tired of it, aren't you? that's why I got out of the newspaper biz. Thank you for your thoughts. Good reminders. Enlightening.

      Delete
  2. A great post, Rachel. Thanks for the reminder that compromise is sometimes necessary and thankfully easier as we grow up, and other times, compromise is not good. Your list was helpful. Your FMF neighbour at #11 this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! Glad you liked it. Blessings!

      Delete
  3. I love your lists of where to compromise and where to stand frim!

    FMF #6

    ReplyDelete

Witness

  Living out in the country like we do, I get to witness new things every week. Like this morning, I went out to feed the barn cats and re...