Saturday, October 15, 2022

Comfort



I find comfort in –  

 

My morning coffee

There’s something comforting about a morning cup of coffee. It tastes better than any other cup of coffee of the day. I take my time and enjoy the moments before it grows cold, before I must leave the house, before the responsibilities of the day pull me away from that comfort.

 

My notebooks

I love coming to my desk and opening my journaling notebook or my Bible study notebook. I know what’s there and I know there are words inside me to fill the pages. It’s just me and my notebook. No one here to judge me.

 

A well-running car

After many break-downs of many cars that were faithful and were trying to be faithful, driving a car with no problems is a comfort … no … a luxury.

 

A pillow

My son didn’t have a favorite blanket when he was little. He had a pillow. It went with him everywhere. Fortunately, it was washable. I love my pillow too.

 

A blanket

Several of my children claimed a favorite blanket, a security while traveling in the van, a necessity at bedtime. They were well-worn and washed often. Recently, I found some worn, white blankets like the ones they layered on me at the hospital. I bought three.

 

A chair

I had a favorite chair that fit me well. I used it for years and loved its comfort. A mouse crawled up inside of it and died. The odor would not be removed. Now I have a new favorite chair that fits me well. It is a comfort to ease into it after being on my feet for a long time.

 

A bed after a long trip

The four-day trip from my mother’s home was difficult. There were long drives and few breaks. There was just enough room for me and my fellow travelers to nap in the comfortable truck, but beds are preferable. Hotel beds are sometimes nice, but we were pushing to make it home. The last leg of the trip we drove through without stopping for the night. After everyone was dropped off, only the essentials were unloaded from the truck before I was reunited with my bed. That feeling of finally relaxing, letting the rest of the world wait, sinking into the mattress and closing my eyes. I love my bed after a long trip.

 

The comfort of a good friend

She listened to me and didn’t interrupt. She didn’t judge or reword my sentences. She asked me questions and helped me clarify my issues. She suggested things to try, ways to pray, boundaries to set, practices to begin, journaling to practice, passages to read. She comforted me and strengthened me. She showed me how to gather that same comfort from God.

 

The comfort of the gospel

The gospel is simple and highly complex, a child can understand and a mystery to many. Jesus came and lived the life we should have lived, loved us even when we were unlovable, sacrificed His needs and finally His life. He rose from the dead, conquering all sin and even death. He showed us how it’s supposed to be done. He told us we can do the same, but only in His strength. Getting strength from Him is a daily practice He Himself teaches me. Let go, He says, I’ll tell you what to do next. Don’t worry about anything. I’ll be there. I’ll guide you through.

He teaches me how to follow the law like He did. He teaches me how to love the unlovable, the smelly, the sandpaper people, the ugly, the hateful, the annoying, the forever-victims. He warns me when things are approaching that I shouldn’t get involved in. He tells me when to walk away. He gives me strength to do the jobs He gives me. He gently guides me through my day. He listens when I worry. He gives me courage when I am afraid. He comforts me when I am mourning. He will show me how to die when the time comes. And He himself will raise me at the end of time. Jesus comforts me.

 

The comfort of heaven

Things get bad down here on earth sometimes. When it’s overwhelming, I think about heaven. I don’t know much about what it will be like, but after a life walking with Jesus I trust His good judgement. I will have everything I need (like I do now), I will see friends and rejoice (like I do now), and I will praise Him with the saints (like I do now) – except it will be without pain, mourning, tears, limitations, and sin.

 

What a comfort!





Comfort – 10-15-22 – 31 Days of Writing about Writing


No comments:

Post a Comment

Witness

  Living out in the country like we do, I get to witness new things every week. Like this morning, I went out to feed the barn cats and re...