Friday, November 4, 2022

Perform


 

Perform is a negative word for me.

I was expected to perform on a regular basis, and that performance had to be perfect. Somehow, if it wasn’t perfect and even though I was told “it’s okay” it didn’t feel okay.

Not being perfect was failure.

I found lots of ways of coping with the unattainable goal, but mostly I got addicted to success. If I had success, my life was livable, I was accepted, I was loved. If I failed, no one looked at me, I felt shunned, I was angry and frustrated, and I hid.

Soon I was not just hiding after failure, but I was hiding from performing. Performing meant there was a real possibility of failure and I just couldn’t take failure anymore. So I hid.

Hiding took a lot of forms:

-          Sleeping in late

-          Getting sick

-          Forgetting

-          Eating comfort food

-          Drinking

-          Acting out

-          Folding in on myself

Then I found different ways to hide:

-          Getting new friends

-          Blocking out old friends (who knew my failures)

-          Ignoring or avoiding people who I perceived I had failed or hurt in some way

And all because I felt I was expected to perform.

 

I did perform quiet a bit. I did everything my parents told me to do. I was able to attain a boyfriend every year, sometimes two per year (this was a goal of most of the girls in school). I performed on stage in band, in choir, in small groups and ensembles, solo piano, solo flute, even solo voice. I performed for my college friends by telling them stories about the desert where I lived. I performed for my teachers by telling them I would do better. Later I performed for my husband by keeping a clean house and making sure the dishes were done (with children in the mix, you can imagine how often I failed). I performed for my children by being loving, kind, but making sure they were obedient.

This behavior has hounded me my entire life.

But, Thank God, I get relief in Jesus. Jesus did the perfect performance in His life and His sacrifice and His awesome resurrection. Then He gave that to me.

Now, I don’t have to perform. I can fail and still be loved. I can make big mistakes and be forgiven.

Even better, I have the Spirit to teach me, to warn me when I feel the need to perform, or the need to cope in an unhealthy way.

Thank You, God, for Your plan!

Thank You Jesus!





Perform – 11-4-22 – Five Minute Friday


photo info - Image by <a href="https://pixabay.com/users/3005398-3005398/?utm_source=link-attribution&amp;utm_medium=referral&amp;utm_campaign=image&amp;utm_content=1674404">Robert Pastryk</a> from <a href="https://pixabay.com//?utm_source=link-attribution&amp;utm_medium=referral&amp;utm_campaign=image&amp;utm_content=1674404">Pixabay</a>


6 comments:

  1. How wonderful to come to the knowledge that you no longer have to perform. May the Lord grant you complete healing from the past, and freedom from your previous obsession with perfection.
    Just stopped by from FMF #5

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also struggled with the pressure to perform and I agree, it is so freeing when we understand that with Jesus we don't have to perform. It is his perfect performance that matters! Visiting from FMF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you have found freedom in Jesus through the power of His Holy Spirit, Rachel. He definitely doesn't want us to have the chains of expectation and performance binding us. His yoke is easy and light, and we serve Him from a heart of love and rest and freedom. Hallelujah! ~Lisa, FMF #2

    ReplyDelete
  4. That I give all, that is my norm,
    and I give it all for free.
    Don't applaud as I perform,
    for you know not me.
    Every time I go to stand,
    I have to plan ahead,
    and sometimes need a helping hand,
    but 'till the day I'm dead
    I will do my given work,
    and darned well will not fail.
    You rightly think I am a jerk,
    but cancer doth entail
    the fatal choice of what to do:
    cry out to God, or see it through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful testimony of redemption and resurrection, dear one. Thank you for sharing so honestly. I praise God with you for healing grace. Blessings. Dawn #10

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a blessing and comfort that God doesn't require us to perform in order to earn his love and approval. So glad you found that freedom! Visiting today from FMF#14

    ReplyDelete

Witness

  Living out in the country like we do, I get to witness new things every week. Like this morning, I went out to feed the barn cats and re...